NON-INVASIVE PRENATAL TEST
- Tbilisi, 6th District Digomi 5a
- Tbilisi, Chavchavadze Avenue 62
NIPT is an effective and safe way to confirm the genetic health of a future child.
Mostly, embryos with genetic abnormalities stop developing at the embryonic stage or up to 12 weeks. But there are syndromes that easily overcome natural selection. Even young parents are at risk of having a child with a genetic abnormality, and this risk increases even more with age.
The non-invasive prenatal test determines the presence of the following abnormalities of the fetus:
- Down syndrome;
- Edwards syndrome;
- Patau syndrome;
- Trisomy of the sex chromosomes.
The nice bonus is that the gender of the fetus is determined. It is also possible to carry out an extended test with microdeletions.
NIPT is 99% accurate because fetal DNA is extracted from the mother’s blood. It is possible since 10 obstetric weeks of pregnancy. In contrast to invasive diagnosis, where there is a small risk of pregnancy termination and fetal infection, NIPT is safe.
Indications for NIPT:
- 10 weeks pregnancy or more;
- Age 35 or older;
- The risk of chromosomal abnormalities is detected by biochemical screening;
- Has a history of chromosomal abnormalities in previous pregnancies;
- Planned screening showed an increased risk of aneuploidy in the first trimester;
- Inability to perform the test with penetration into the uterine cavity due to risk of pregnancy termination;
- Previous miscarriage;
- Previous infertility;
- Stillbirth or birth of a child with a prior history of malformations;
- Use of IVF in this pregnancy